Thursday, December 20, 2012

INTERRUPTING REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING


HELP! CAN WE GO BACK TO THE NEWBORN INFANT STAGE.  PLEASE.  BECAUSE I WAS GETTING MORE SLEEP THEN THAN I AM NOT WITH MY TWO YEAR OLD.  I AM AT MY WITS END.  I HAVE GOOGLED AND GOOGLED AND ASKED FRIENDS.  AND NOTHING IS WORKING!

Here is the rundown.  A few months ago Elle started waking at night and screaming bloody murder.  She would not go back to bed.  She was frantic she wanted me to pick her up.  A few times I did and then when I went to put her back down she went absolutely nuts.  So I stopped picking her up.  I would just go in there and try to quiet her down.  That didn't work either.

I have tried letting her cry it out too.  Problem is she stands up in her crib and she is not tiring out.  If she is standing up she is NOT going back to sleep.  Bringing her in our bed (which we have done maybe 3 times) is a no go because she doesn't go to sleep.  She rolls around and kicks and plays...all night.  Literally.

My friend suggested we leave the door open when we put her down and that worked.  Oh glorious sleep.  She was sleeping all night and sleeping until 7:30ish in the morning.  Oh my god was it wonderful.  For three weeks we were in heaven.

Then it was back to screaming.  The two things that get her back to sleep.
1. Sitting outside in the hallway where she can see you and waiting until she falls back asleep, which never works because I am so tired and we have hardwood and I am uncomfortable so I don't have much patience for sitting on the cold floor for very long.

2. One of us (Kenny or I) going to sleep in her nursery. The second she sees one of us headed in there with a blanket and pillow she lays down immediately and passes out.


Which you think problem solved.  But Kenny and I sleeping in the same room is important to me.  I just don't want to be the married couple sleeping in different rooms every night.  The amount that one of us is already sleeping in the nursery (maybe once a week) is worrying me.

So there it is in a nutshell.  Is this a phase?  Is she two and jedi master manipulating us?  Have we warped her in some way and she is trying to tell us?  I just don't know what to do.  Plus our family is about to go through major changes and I am terrified this will only get way worse.


Please all you hundreds of thousands of blog readers (just kidding) please help.  I will try anything.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

it IS a phase. My kid did it too and we resulted in Tom sleeping on the floor upstairs with him. It lasts a few weeks/months depending on what's going on.

Another thing you can do is evaluate what times she is waking, see if there are any particular noises waking her up.

Does she have white noise (fan/radio) in her room? Might try adding this and some night lights (yes plural lol). Once we did these things my kid would wake up and his room was light enough he didn't freak yet dim enough to know it was still dark. Pairing that with the radio and fan it drowned out any of the loud trucks/cars/motorcycles that run up and down the street behind us at 3am.

It's a process just remember that "This too shall pass." It will and you'll forget about it soon enough.

Also if sitting outside her room works maybe get a small bean bag or chair for the floor? I sat in a chair by his door for awhile.